As a preface, I’ve recently created some abstract ambient pieces under a project name, but that path has mostly run its course. I’ve decided to remove the abstract sounds and focus on making longer, more relaxing pieces under my own name that accentuate different timbres and textures.
The original goal for this piece was to come right up to the edge of the Bandcamp size limitations of 600 megabytes, but I only made it to 572 megabytes because Bandcamp uses the megabyte total as a hard line instead of the byte total. I went for the byte total, which at 56 minutes and 41 seconds puts me about 60,000 bytes shy of 600 actual megabytes.
I contemplated holding off with the release and further stretching the piece, but I enjoy it as is and 3400 seconds (plus one second of silence at the end) divides well for sound stretching and works well with a variety of tempos. Granted, the way the piece is stretched renders tempo a moot point, but the tempos are useful when writing.
I’ve limited myself to six sound files in the piece and with the completed piece (sound file #7), the space total comes to 4.2 gigabytes in bytes (about 4 gigabytes by the gigabyte total), which is under the maximum amount that fits on a burnable DVD for storage – one more sound file would push it over the limit.
With the way the pieces are written (in Reason), I could trim the sound file numbers down in future pieces by mixing multiple parts of the piece together before exporting them to .WAV files. On the other hand, I could stick with six sound files and get even more involved with layering in Reason. What I do remains to be determined.
Now that I’ve far too thoroughly described some of the technical details of my creative process, I’ll give my fingers a rest and post the piece. As always, I hope you enjoy!